Wednesday, September 30, 2009


Yesterday, while representing tenants in Landlord/Tenant court, two things of interest came up:

1. Tom Suozzi's office has produced a booklet on obtaining financial and other assistance for the elderly and home bound. Contact the Nassau County Department of Social Services, 60 Charles Lindbergh Blvd., Uniondale, NY 11553-3656 for a copy.

2. Landlords seem to be getting tougher, not only in negotiating settlements for non-payment, but also as to who they will rent to. Be wary of housing discrimination - if you feel you have been a victim, contact The Nassau County Commission on Human Rights, 240 Old Country Road, Suite 606, Mineola, New York 11501 (516) 571-3662. Remember, housing discrimination based on your race, color, national origin, religion, sex, family status, or disability is illegal by federal law. If you have been trying to buy or rent a home or apartment and you believe your rights have been violated, you can file a fair housing complaint. The Office of Fair Housing and Equal Opportunity, Department of Housing and Urban Development has an on-line form or call toll-free 1 (800) 669-9777.

No comments:

Post a Comment