- Injured in the disaster and unable to work, whether the person is an employee or self-employed.
- Workplace is damaged, or destroyed, or the person cannot work because of the disaster.
- Transportation to work is not available because of the disaster.
- Cannot get to work because they must travel through the affected area, which is impossible due to disaster.
- Scheduled to begin working, but cannot because of the disaster.
- Derived most of income from areas affected by the disaster, and business is closed or inoperable because of the disaster.
- Is not otherwise eligible for regular unemployment benefits.
Note the emphasis supplied...this assistance also covers the self employed. Last week, Governor Cuomo announced an extension from December 3, 2012 to February 4, 2013 to apply for DUA. Claimants have up to 90 days to submit proof of employment or self-employment and will be provided an IRS link to expedite the retrieval of lost or destroyed tax documents.