From the DMV:
"Effective January 1st 2017, examination of tinted or shaded windows will be required during motor vehicle inspections.
Section 375 (12-a) of the NYS Vehicle and Traffic Law does not allow a windshield or front side windows that are dark.
- The windshield and front side windows cannot block more than 30% of the light.
- Seventy percent or more of the light from the outside must pass through the window.
- This law also applies to the rear window unless the vehicle has outside rear-view mirrors on both sides.
- The mirrors must give the driver a full and clear view behind the vehicle.
- Rear side windows must also allow at least seventy percent of light from the outside to pass through the window if the vehicle is classified as a
- station wagon
It is illegal to sell, offer for sale, or install glass that does not comply with this law. It is illegal to operate a vehicle with glass that does not comply with this law.
NYS Health department regulations specify that only the following medical conditions may be used to justify an exemption from the limits on light transmittance. If you have one of the medical conditions below that require you to have tinted vehicle windows, you may request an exemption from the law using the Application for Tinted Window Exemption (MV-80W).
- Xeroderma Pigmentosa
- Severe Drug Photo-Sensitivity"