Thursday, September 17, 2009


This recently came up and is a lesson to always read everything. If you had a hearing contesting the detrmination of the Department of Labor and lost and now wish to go the extra step and appeal to the Appeals Board, go to the NYS UI Appeals Board FAQ, it will state:


What can I do if I don’t agree with the judge’s decision?

If you were at the hearing and lost all or part of the case, you may file an appeal to the Appeal Board. The decision will contain instructions explaining how to file an appeal. You can appeal in writing, either by letter sent to the Appeal Board at PO Box 15126, Albany, NY 12212-5126, or by fax to 402-6208. Your letter must include the ALJ Case Number (which is listed on the decision above the claimant’s name).

An appeal must be postmarked or faxed no later than 20 days after the date printed or stamped on the front of the ALJ decision. The 20-day time period includes all weekends and holidays."

BUT - what the FAQ does not state is that the letter requesting the appeal must include a reason for the appeal, which although not contained in the FAQ, is clearly stated on the instructions contained on the reverse side of the ALJ decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment